I could of been a contender (was Re: OT: English speakers' typo)

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 11:40:09 EDT

From: <brendan_murray@lotus.com>
> Otto Stolz wrote:
> > This reminds me to an observation that has puzzled me for years:
> > I have often seen native "that" written in place of "than".
> I can't think of anywhere this might occur, but the one that I've noticed
> keeps popping up (and is extremely irritating) is the use of "of" instead
> "have", as in "I could of".

I believe this one is a case of speech corrupting text.... "could have"
becomes "could've" (vulgar contraction, usually only spoken) and it sounds
enough like "could of" that people think they are saying THAT, instead.

P.S. I was tempted to say THAN instead of THAT in the last sentence but
figured some people would miss the subtle (linguistically geeky) irony.