Re: OT: English speakers' typo

From: Mark Leisher (mleisher@crl.nmsu.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 11:45:34 EDT

    Brendan> I can't think of anywhere this might occur, but the one that I've
    Brendan> noticed keeps popping up (and is extremely irritating) is the use
    Brendan> of "of" instead of "have", as in "I could of".

The contraction of "could" and "have," which should be spelled "could've,"
seldom appears in published materials. A lot of people only hear it spoken,
so it isn't very surprising they render it as "could of."

Another one I've seen frequently over the past few years is the use of "loose"
instead of "lose." I find this one particularly jarring.
Mark Leisher
Computing Research Lab Once you fully apprehend the vacuity of a
New Mexico State University life without struggle, you are equipped
Box 30001, Dept. 3CRL with the basic means of salvation.
Las Cruces, NM 88003 -- Tennessee Williams