RE: Designing a multilingual web site

From: Munzir Taha (munzir_taha@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 20:09:40 EDT

>You should explicitly set the encoding in the header of your page, and not
>leave it for the browser to guess. The following should go all in one line
>at the very top of the header:

Yes, I understand the point of putting the header in each page explicitly.
But my question is how did the browser guessed it?

Another question: I received a message in Arabic thru Outlook 2000, It
doesn't appear right until I changed the encoding to Arabic (Windows). I
copied the (garbage) text (Which is encoded US-ASCII) and paste it to
notepad in Win2k. I saved the file into all available formats and renamed
each file to .htm. I then tried the different encodings but no use, the
garbage text doesn't changed at all.

I then went again to outlook, changed the encoding of the message into
Western European (Windows), saved it as Ansi text, renamed it into .htm,
changed the encoding to Arabic (Windows) and it's OK. Can you please explain
to me why the first failed whereas the second succeeded?

Thanks in advance for your quick reply