Re: Designing a multilingual web site

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 21:02:08 EDT

From: "Munzir Taha" <munzir_taha@yahoo.com>
>From: "Michael (michka) Kaplan" <michka@trigeminal.com>
> >You should explicitly set the encoding in the header of your page, and
not
> >leave it for the browser to guess. The following should go all in one
line
> >at the very top of the header:
> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; CHARSET=UTF-8">

> Yes, I understand the point of putting the header in each page explicitly.
> But my question is how did the browser guessed it?

Browsers sometimes guess, especially IE... you asked it to AutoDetect....
with a feature that has a name like THAT it has to guess right sometimes,
right? :-)

> Another question: I received a message in Arabic thru Outlook 2000, It
> doesn't appear right until I changed the encoding to Arabic (Windows). I
> copied the (garbage) text (Which is encoded US-ASCII) and paste it to
> notepad in Win2k. I saved the file into all available formats and renamed
> each file to .htm. I then tried the different encodings but no use, the
> garbage text doesn't changed at all.
>
> I then went again to outlook, changed the encoding of the message into
> Western European (Windows), saved it as Ansi text, renamed it into .htm,
> changed the encoding to Arabic (Windows) and it's OK. Can you please
explain
> to me why the first failed whereas the second succeeded?

I think we are really getting way too off the topic of THIS group here, and
this thead is wandering a little out of control. To your question above, I
can honestly say I have no earth clue as I do not use Outlook, at all.

michka