Re: What is the difference between i18n and l10n?

From: Tex Texin (texin@progress.com)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 16:30:43 EDT

With respect to the capitalization rules, I do not recall ever
seeing "i18N" with lowercase i and uppercase N.

The only place where I think it might occur is in one of those
ransom notes where the case varies throughout the message and
the characters are all cut from magazine ads.

"i hAvE yOuR i18N enGInEeR hOstAGe. sEnD $1000,000.00 if YOu
waNT HiM back!"

For internationalization I have seen it any of the other 3 ways:
i18n, I18n, I18N.

I suspect l10n is usually uppercase L, since the lowercase L and the
one are too similar. The trailing "n" can go either way.
(Although, I am not aware of any words that have
more than a hundred letters and end in "n". At least not
in American English.)

I am curious about where this comes from...
tex

--
If practice makes perfect, and nobody's perfect, why practice?
Tex Texin                      Director, International Products

http://www.progress.com #1 Embedded Database http://www.SonicMQ.com JMS Messaging- Best Middleware Award http://www.aspconnections.com #1 provider in the ASP marketplace http://www.NuSphere.com Open Source software and services for MySQL

Globalization Program http://www.progress.com/partners/globalization.htm ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Come to the Panel on Open Source Approaches to Unicode Libraries at the Sept. Unicode Conference http://www.unicode.org/iuc/iuc17