Re: Unicode keyboard editor utility

Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 11:27:37 EDT

I wish Manuel had mentioned which 3rd-party products he had in mind (I'm
always interested in knowing what's out there). But, a new version of
Tavultesoft Keyboard Manager (aka Keyman) is being developed, and I
understand it should be available by the end of the year.

The new version is supposed to do Unicode (though, obviously, not
necessarily on Win9x/Me). Keyman makes it very easy to create your own
keyboard layouts, and also allows you to do some fairly sophisticated
things - it was originally designed to be able to handle generating
presentation-form-encoded text using custom encodings of complex SE Asian
scripts. So, for example, you could use it to create an input method for a
large character set, such as Ethiopic. (But it doesn't yet do input method
*editors*, i.e. something that handles an intermediate state of text in a
separate editing mini-Window, so it's not really suited to *very large*
character sets, such as CJK.) You could probably also use it to ensure that
the input text is canonically ordered or even in a particular normal form.

Tavultesoft's site is at

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <>