Re: SQL Server and Unicode

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 11:55:16 EDT

Unfortunately, Java and especially JDBC is one of those places where I
cannot even maintain the illusion of "knowing everything". :-)

From colleagues of mine who work in the UNIX/Java sphere, the impression I
have gotten is that many/most of the JDBC stuff was done prior to SQL 7.0,
and thus had no Unicode fields to run against. This makes them always
convert using some code page (probably using the non-Unicode SQLS scheme
which is to base it off the collation choice of the server, which until 7.0
was actually the ideal plan).

I would hope that my (limited) knowledge is obsolete and that work has been
done to make things work in SQLS 7.0 and 2000 Unicode fields through JDBC.
Can someone confirm or deny this?

michka