Re: Bangla(Bengali) letter Missing

From: Dhrubajyoti Banerjee (dhruba@cdac.ernet.in)
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 00:51:47 EDT

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Abdul Malik wrote
> > Robert Brady wrote:
> > >
> > > For the last three, you can do something like
> > > BENGALI LETTER WHATEVER
> > > BENGALI VIRAMA
> > > BENGALI LETTER BA
> > > for the -va form, and
> > >
> > > BENGALI LETTER WHATEVER
> > > BENGALI VIRAMA
> > > ZERO WIDTH JOINER
> > > BENGALI LETTER BA
> > > for the -ba form.
>

> > That's what I was going to post, but you were quicker ;-)
>
> What about the first example?
>
> > However, this mechanism (VIRAMA + ZWJ) should only be for forcing a
> > particular *visual* representation of the *same* orthographic entities:
> > halfConsonant + fullConsonant vs. ligature.
> >
> > In this case, Abdul Malik claims that there are also *phonetic*
> differences
> > ("bbo" vs. "bvo", "cvo" vs. "cbo", etc.). So why using this hack rather
> than
> > including a proper "va" letter?
>
> (the phonetic differences are real)
>
> > Of course, I see the problem: "ba" and "va" would be identical in most
> > cases, and this may lead to confusion (imagine having two keys showing
> > identical letters: which is which?).
>
> Yes indeed, I would put it stronger:
> Ba and Va when in isolation: both look the same, are pronunced the same, and
> are called by the same name by speakers of Bangla
> so a hack method looks to me to be more favourable.
> Having said that, It is definately *not* an ideal or good solution.
>
> > Nevertheless, there are several examples of characters that are exactly
> the
> > same visually, but have been kept separate on the bases that they are
> > logically different.
> >
> > E.g., the isolate and final forms of U+06CC ARABIC LETTER FARSI YEH are
> > identical to U+0649 ARABIC LETTER ALEF MAKSURA [...]
>
> So how do I know wich key to press on my keyboard?

Shouldn't it(ba or va) be the same key on your keyboard? As both Ba and
Va are
differing only visually and give different results only for the
particualr combinations(as in your example).

> Abdul

Dhrubajyoti Banerjee
E.T. Gist/Software Umashankar Co-op Housing Society
C-DAC Plot No. 155/1/5
Pune University Campus Aundh
Ganesh Khind PUNE-411007
PUNE-411007