RE: Addition of remaining two Maltese Characters to Unicode

From: Ayers, Mike (Mike_Ayers@bmc.com)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 21:16:49 EDT

        My mistake.

> But why represent a single grapheme by
> three characters when you can represent it by two?

        I quote Angelo Dalli:

>>There
>>are also problems in distinguishing between the Maltese 'ie' and the
>>sequence 'i' + 'e' found in words adopted from English.

        I interpreted this to mean that he wanted to be able to form two
different constructs using the same letters, e.g. i + e for an English loan
word, but i + ZWJ + e for native Maltese words. This would allow proper
rendering for both types of words, so that, say "piece" wouldn't be rendered
with the "i" and "e" joined. Did I misunderstand?

/|/|ike