RE: Addition of remaining two Maltese Characters to Unicode

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Tue Aug 01 2000 - 00:24:48 EDT

> I interpreted this to mean that he wanted to be able to form two
>different constructs using the same letters, e.g. i + e for an English
loan
>word, but i + ZWJ + e for native Maltese words...

Rather than ZWJ, there is a pending proposal being considered by UTC for a
ZW GRAPHEME JOINER that would be intended specifically for this purposes.
It was discussed at the last UTC meeting, and an action item for further
work to be done in time for the upcoming meeting, but I haven't seen it on
the agenda, so I don't know whether its proponents are still pursuing it or
not.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>