Re: FW: Unicode konversion

From: Paul Keinanen (keinanen@sci.fi)
Date: Tue Aug 01 2000 - 03:28:12 EDT

On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 10:41:44 -0800 (GMT-0800),
addison@inter-locale.com wrote:

>The call to WideCharToMultiByte takes a code page as an argument (if you
>leave it blank it uses the default code page).
>
>When you convert a string with Unicode characters to "multi-byte", you are
>actually converting it to a legacy, non-Unicode, character set. Only the
>characters actually supported by the character set will be converted. All
>other characters will turn into "?" (on Western European systems) or
>"_" (on Asian systems).

On NT 4 and Win 2000 the code page can also be specified as CP_UTF7
and CP_UTF8, in which case the UTF-16 is converted to a sequence of
UTF-7 or UTF-8, so this function is also very usable in fully Unicode
application.

For "normal" code pages (and I think this applies to all Win32
platforms), the code page must be installed, i.e. the CP_*.nls files
must be in the system32 subdirectory and registry keys must be
pointing to these files. Usually this code page installation is done
from the control panel.

>Finally: if your program is a command line program, then you can change
>the active code page of 'cmd' by using the 'chcp' command. The code page
>you use in WCTMB and the code page of your window have to match.

Please remember to use the Lucida Console font in that window, since
the raster font seems to be hardwired for the OEM code page.

Paul