Re: Question

From: addison@inter-locale.com
Date: Tue Aug 01 2000 - 14:28:55 EDT

Well....

A list of languages supported by Unicode is fairly long (and a complex
topic).

The Java programming language has varying levels of support for a variety
of languages. This support is evolving, even as I write.

For example:
There is no (built-in) support for calendars other than the Gregorian
calendar (although you can make your own and there are several available
from IBM).

The Sun JDK comes with a variety of locales (144 at my
last count) pre-installed. Check out my Java Locale Viewer at:

http://www.inter-locale.com/demos/locales.jsp

This demo shows many of the basic classes related to the Locale object in
use. I'm adding collation, normalization, the BreakIterator, and other
features sometime this week.

Before you start with books, check out the Javasoft website. They have a
comprehensive Internationalization tutorial and several articles on the
basic classes you'll need to understand.

Many books on Java have a chapter on internationalization, which is where
you'll mostly find reference to such matters as Unicode. There are also a
couple of books coming out shortly on the topic.

Addison P. Phillips Principal Consultant
Inter-Locale LLC http://www.inter-locale.com
Los Gatos, CA, USA mailto:addison@inter-locale.com

+1 408.210.3569 (mobile) +1 408.904.4762 (fax)
Globalization Engineering & Consulting Services