RE: Euro

From: Marco.Cimarosti@icl.com
Date: Mon Aug 07 2000 - 04:02:14 EDT

Asmus Freytag wrote:
> The problem with the commission design of the euro glyph is
> that it only
> works as long as you use their aspect ratio and uniform
> stroke width. As
> long as you have these, the eye will complete them to a lower
> case 'e' form [...]

Visual perception is indeed a funny thing!

I never realized before this similarity between the euro sign and a
lowercase "e". But as soon as I read your words I started visualizing it.

I had always seen it as an ugly uppercase "E" with a certain "Cyrillic"
flavor (think at U+0404 or U+42D).

I think that this "Cyrillicity" in the euro logo is perceived by many other
people, and this probably contributed to the popular joke that the "EUR"
currency Id means "EUropean Ruble".

_ Marco