Re: Euro

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@compuserve.com)
Date: Mon Aug 07 2000 - 10:11:21 EDT

Asmus Freytag <asmusf@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Familiarity with use will 'train' enough people to accept the 'C'uro
> for a 'e'uro, so their knowledge of the full name will override their
> visual processing long enough that they will see the 'e' shape in the
> euro.

There is no 'S' in 'dollar' nor 'L' in 'pound,' yet the symbols '$' and
'£' are readily accepted in North America and the British Isles. The
origins of the symbols and words are something we learn after the fact.
First we learn the symbols and the words, we notice that there is no
obvious connection, then we shrug our shoulders and accept it.

The same thing will likely happen with the euro, especially as most
people (who are not experts on characters and typography like the
members of this list) will learn the euro symbol as a separate entity
and will not be bothered for long by any similarities between it and
ordinary letters such as 'C' or 'E'.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California