RE: Summary: xml:lang validity and RFC 1766 refs to outdated code s [l ong]

From: Mike Brown (mbrown@corp.webb.net)
Date: Tue Aug 08 2000 - 11:24:35 EDT

Jonathan Borden wrote:
> > the 2-letter language code portion of xml:lang values must
> > not only be 2 ASCII characters, but...
>
> Actually production [34] states that the LangCode is one of:
>
> ISO639Code | IanaCode | UserCode

I know that. I also knew that productions 33 through 38 had been made
obsolete by an erratum and that the only normative reference for xml:lang
values was RFC 1766. That's why I said the 2-letter language code *portion*
of xml:lang values. This is in reference to those RFC 1766 conforming
language identifiers that include 2-letter language codes. The text of RFC
1766 describes exactly when and where those codes are to be used.