Re: Braille rendering of Unicode [OT 50%]

From: Steven R. Loomis (
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 02:51:50 EDT wrote:
> No. These are at most the building blocks for braille. A better parallel
> would be to consider these "presentation glyphs" for braille. (But I think
> that the main reason why these patterns are in Unicode is to encode runs of
> braille-looking characters in didactic texts for *sighted* people).

 The other afb page cited lists 'translation' software and refers to it
as being a level 2 task. Presumably the unicode codepoints in braille
would make a great format for these translations on their way to a
printer. One would hope they would get such use and not simply for
braille-looking characters on paper or screen.. Is there a standard file
format for those devices?

> AFAIK, braille conversion is a relatively complex thing, that involves using
> "escape sequences"

 Yet another complex script :)
 It sounded to me like a transliteration problem at first. I have
somewhere a first cut at a unicode <-> braille mapping.

Steven R. Loomis - ICU Code Sculptor - -  +1 408.777.5845
IBM CET, Cupertino, Silicon Valley, California, USA - ------- personal: -