RE: Identifying a Unicode character

From: Murray Sargent (murrays@microsoft.com)
Date: Fri Aug 18 2000 - 12:30:24 EDT

If you can get the text into a Win32 RichEdit control version 3.0 or later
(Office 2000 and/or Windows 2000 in WordPad), type Shift+Alt+x after the
character and the character will be replaced by its Unicode hexadecimal
value. If you type Alt+x, that code gets converted back into the Unicode
character.

In the next version of Office, Word also supports Alt+x and makes it into a
toggle, that is, Alt+x will toggle a character back and forth between the
character and the character's Unicode hex value. RichEdit 4.0 does the
same. Having used this facility for a couple of years now, I can't imagine
living without it. The method is quite portable and could be used readily
on nonWindows OSs.

Murray