Re: Half-form of Hindi-consonant which has Nukta

From: Abdul Malik (AbdulMalik@btinternet.com)
Date: Fri Aug 18 2000 - 18:47:56 EDT

Chookij Vanatham wrote:

> Hi any hindi experts,

I don’t claim to be a 'Hindi' expert, but I do know about the Devanagari
script

> I have a question about hindi.
> Does hindi have the half-form of the case where hindi consonant has the
nukta ?

> Ex: inp: Ka + Nukta + Virama + Ma
>
> Would that be the half form of "Ka + Nukta + Virama" ?
>
> Chookij V.

I believe that a conjunct glyph form of Ka_nukta/Ma (as opposed to half/full
form) does not exist. That is to say, Ka_nukta will always occur in its half
form followed by Ma. So in the example you give, the answer is yes, this
sequence will produce 'half_ka-nukta Ma'.

AFAIK the same is true for all consonants followed by nukta, except for
Ra_nukta. Ra_nukta has the extended function of forming eyelashRa.

If what you are after is to guarantee that a half form is produced, and that
the sequence does not go on to produce some conjunct glyph formation, then
the use of the 'zero width joiner' (ZWJ) will be required.

So in this case your example will become:

Ka + Nukta + Virama + ZWJ + Ma = Half_Ka-nukta ma

Hope this helps

Abdul