Re: UNIX Unicode APIs (*not* character sets)

From: David Starner (dvdeug@x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu)
Date: Sun Aug 20 2000 - 23:10:15 EDT

On Sun, Aug 20, 2000 at 04:05:23PM -0800, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> As you point out, this approach is not quite satisfactory. In
> particular, it requires that two locales should be implemented for
> every single country/language: one that uses the ``legacy'' character
> set, and one that uses UTF-8 externally (and probably UCS-4
> internally, although that's implementation dependent).
>
> Of course, we may expect the internationalisation tools to generate
> data for both locales from a single source, but that hardly strikes me
> as an elegant solution.

I'm told that GNU gettext will support automatic recoding of strings
into the locale character set. Unfortunetly, it doesn't seem to be
a property of glibc 2.2, so I don't know if and when a release that
does this will be made.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
http/ftp: x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu