RE: Specifying a locale

From: Carl W. Brown (cbrown@xnetinc.com)
Date: Mon Sep 25 2000 - 18:19:19 EDT

Jami,

The issue is more that just a locale but the system to support it. With
Unicode the database could support multiple languages at the same time. For
example
http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/icu/project/index.html
is an Open Source package that gives you an example of what Unicode locales
can do.

You can play with
http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/icu/localeexplorer/
and see what your browser can do. Change the names of the countries and
titles to different languages. Check sorting orders. See what date formats
are in different countries. etc. This is best viewed on Windows 2000 and
IE 5.5 will as many fonts as possible installed.

This package has an added advantage that each thread can have a separate
locale.

Carl