Re: Unicode on a website

From: Erik van der Poel (erik@netscape.com)
Date: Mon Sep 25 2000 - 16:31:02 EDT

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> I don't know what you mean by 'font linking info', but Windows font
> signatures have had a bit set aside for Georgian for quite a while and
> they now also have one for Ethiopic. So it's straightforward to handle
> display of both these languages without forcing users to use
> particular fonts.

Yes, that's right. The browser ought to be able to find out what glyphs
are available in the system by looking at the installed fonts. The font
signatures are rather coarse-grained, however. A more fine-grained
solution is to use the "cmap" table. The new Mozilla (part of Netscape
6) does this. It also looks at the "loca" table to work around an issue
in some fonts such as MS Gothic. These fonts have compressed cmaps that
lie about the availability of some glyphs. (They claim to have many
glyphs, but some of them are just spaces, not actual glyphs.) Of course,
we need to set up good defaults for each language so that you don't end
up with too many different fonts being used to display a single piece of
text.

Erik