Re: ISO European characters in Unicode?

Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 19:35:30 EDT

Hi George,

Changing the display setting for your browser doesn't change how the page
is encoded. The page is still encoded in ISO-8859-1 (Latin-1) character
set. Changing your view encoding will only mess up the display.

In an earlier post on this thread I suggested that sending a file encoded
as UTF-8 to a browser will work reliably for Western European users... and
it will.

Try this search out:

This particular AltaVista site will return a UTF-8 page (you can elect to
make it return something else by clicking on customize... if it returns a
Latin-1 page because you've visited AltaVista before, click on Customize
to change it to UTF-8).

You can clearly see umlauts and other fine German non-ASCII characters on
this page. You can see the underlying encoding by changing the page
encoding to Latin-1. See how the German word "zuruck" (I'd spell
it with the umlaut, but I'm working on the Wyse50 today) acquires two
garbage characters in the middle? That's the UTF-8 bytes displaying
themselves as 8-bit characters.

*IF* the page is already encoded as UTF-8 and tagged with a META tag, you
will see it in a Western European default installation browser of recent
enough vintage to support Unicode.
If the page is encoded as something else, you have to look at it in *THAT*

Best Regards,

Addison P. Phillips Principal Consultant
Inter-Locale LLC
Los Gatos, CA, USA

+1 408.210.3569 (mobile) +1 408.904.4762 (fax)
Globalization Engineering & Consulting Services