Re: SGML (or XML) Unicode-enabled publishing tools

From: Patrick Andries (pandries@iti.qc.ca)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2000 - 09:33:10 EDT

Lars Marius Garshol schrieb:

> * Tony Graham
> |
> | Try 3B2 (http://www.3b2.com/). I've seen 3B2 do Arabic, and I've seen
> | 3B2 do Japanese, but I don't know whether it's Unicode-enabled.
>
> What I heard some months ago was that they were working on a
> Unicode-enabled version. Whether it is out now or not I don't know.

According to 3B2, yes. Apparently, 3B2 is a very fast composition engine
that supports CJK and bidi languages. It also has hyphenation lists for
close to 40 languages.

On the other hand, I've heard it is expensive and requires quite a lot of
programming.

As an alternative, we are looking into using FrameMaker+SGML which I believe
does not support Unicode nor Arabic. If someone has some experience using
FrameMaker+SGML in a multilingal set-up, I would love to hear from him. More
specifically, whether proper publishing requires using the corresponding
localized platform (i.e. does one need to be on a Japanese platform to
ensure that Framemaker+SGML publishes Japanese properly) ?

Patrick Andries