RE: Can anyone help me!!!

From: Michael Jansson (mjan@borware.com)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 12:49:03 EDT

Hi,

Writing a plugin would not be enough. There are quite a few issues
to deal with when rendering Indian text in a browser without
Unicode support (as you all know). I assume that you are looking for
a solution that works for more than just one browser on one platform!?

Some browser may neither support Unicode text encoding formats (e.g.
utf-8), nor rendering of 16-bit characters. Also they would probably
not be able to deal with the complex character shaping and positioning
and text direction issues found in Indian and other languages. Some
browsers do not support downloading (partial) fonts yet, so these
browsers may not be able to show the text even if they did support
Unicode. There are other issues as well....

It's not impossible to solve these problems though, but it is *very*
hard. We (at BorWare AB) are working on a product with which we intend
to support Unicode, CSS level 2 and font embedding on many platforms and
browsers. Specifically, it will support Indian Unicode fonts (OpenType
Layout) and non-Unicode Indian fonts (TT, T1, etc) in IE 4.x, IE 5.x,
Nav 4.x, Nav 6.x, Op4, WebTV on (non-Indian) Windows, Unix, Mac. It's
being beta tested right now and should be available sometime next year...

Regards,
- Michael