Re: C Programming for Unicode

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@pantheon.yale.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 19:25:58 EDT

On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Helena Shih wrote:

> There are a few options, depending what you mean by "supports unicode". If
> all you care about the code page conversion so your program can process
> Unicode code points, glibc is freely available on many platforms,
> http://www.gnu.org.

I'm afraid this is a little bit of understatement fow what glibc can do
(among other things, glibc can do collation like any other C library can
do with appropriate locales) . It would be a good description of iconv
and friends in glibc ( any C library with iconv supporting many encodings
). In case glibc is too big to install on the target platform, there's
also a standalone free (LGPLed) libiconv (developed by Bruno Haible )
that offers iconv(3) for a lot of encodings.

  http://clisp.cons.org/~haible/packages-libiconv.html

Jungshik Shin