Re: Myanmar Script (1000-109F)

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@compuserve.com)
Date: Fri Oct 20 2000 - 11:51:51 EDT

William W.L.K, dba "Myanmar Triumph International Ltd."
<mtil@mptmail.net.mm>, wrote:

> I started this six months ago as a hobby (sounds like Mr. Torvald!)
> and as fow now, I'm into thease two big subjects:
>
> 1. Standard National Unicode-compliant Character Set

I guess this phrase is the one that's holding me up. The only truly
Unicode-compliant character set is Unicode! Other (typically 8-bit)
character sets can cross-reference their code points back to Unicode,
and almost all now do so, but if you are already "somebody who is doing
Myanmar Script in Unicode" then it seems to me that the best thing you
can do for Myanmar is to support and promote the use of Unicode rather
than develop a new 8-bit character set.

<off-topic>

> My testbed is on Linux, most professionals' preferred OS.

I will point out here that I develop on and for Windows (and formerly
MS-DOS) because that is what our customers require. Somebody like
Michael Everson develops on and for the Macintosh because that is what
his customers require. This does not mean we are not professionals, or
somehow not enlightened. Please, let's not use this list as a forum
for OS chauvinism.

</off-topic>

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California