From: John Cowan (
Date: Fri Oct 27 2000 - 14:51:54 EDT

"Alain LaBonté " wrote:

> « Une police [de caractères] » simply means "a character font", as odd as it may look. In other contexts, « police » also means « cop » in French. Hard to catch for English-speakers, but true.

Doesn't it also have the sense of "[insurance] policy"? I remember a
machine-translation joke, something to the effect of the French version
of "You may wish to protect your jewelry with a special policy" came out
in the English version as "police special" --- which in the U.S. means
"the .38 caliber handgun traditionally carried by the police", quite
twisting the sense of the sentence!

There is / one art                   || John Cowan <>
no more / no less                    ||
to do / all things                   ||
with art- / lessness                 \\ -- Piet Hein