Re: Q.'s about hanja

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 11:10:35 EST

Marco Cimarosti wrote:

> 2) Is it true that hanja have been abolished in North Korea? When did this
> happen?

They were abolished in the sense that the schools ceased to teach them. This
decision has recently (last 2 years or so) been reversed, however.

> 3) How often are hanja used today, however? (All the Korean web pages I come
> across are totally in hangul, including
> http://www.unicode.org/unicode/standard/translations/korean.html).

I believe they are still common in newspaper headlines, because of the greater
degree of compression they permit.

--
There is / one art                   || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
no more / no less                    || http://www.reutershealth.com