RE: Unicode not approved by China

From: Christopher John Fynn (cfynn@druknet.net.bt)
Date: Fri Nov 17 2000 - 16:49:13 EST

> Bjorn Stabell <unicode@exoweb.net> wrote:
> > According to this news item (in Chinese), China rejected HK's
> > application to use Unicode, and instead says they have to use
> > ISO 10646-1:2000 or GB18030. Apparently they don't like to
> > standardize on a standard controlled by an organization of
> > commercial companies, like Unicode.

Is this for the famous Red-Flag Linux implementation?

Seems to me it will be hard for even the old men in Beijing to "ban" Unicode in operating systems and applications which originate outside of the PRC. If they did make such a law or regulation it would mean that all copies of foreign software that announced that it supported Unicode would be illegal and couldn't be sold in the PRC. Is this what "Free Trade" with the PRC is all about?