Re: Information about curly-tailed phonetic letters

From: Michael Everson (
Date: Sat Nov 25 2000 - 09:49:12 EST

Ar 13:10 -0800 2000-11-23, scríobh Richard Cook:
>Hi everyone,
>This paper, brought to your attention last June
>has been updated recently. Still working on getting the formal
>proposal together, and still welcoming comments and/or suggestions.

Ah. I forgot. Richard, I'd come across these characters independently some
time ago, when at the Beijing meeting of WG2 I'd collected a number of
books on Yi, in which these characters occur. I think your arguments about
the productivity of the curl in the IPA are spot on.

In short, I think these characters should be added and that there should be
no impediment to doing so. In fact, in September I was updating one of the
fonts Asmus and I use to prepare tables and I added these characters for
future use.

Michael Everson ** Everson Gunn Teoranta **
Vox +353 1 478 2597 ** Fax +353 1 478 2597 ** Mob +353 86 807 9169