Re: Information about curly-tailed phonetic letters

From: Richard Cook (rscook@socrates.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: Sat Nov 25 2000 - 18:59:52 EST

Michael Everson wrote:
> Ar 13:10 -0800 2000-11-23, scríobh Richard Cook:
> >Hi everyone,
> >This paper, brought to your attention last June
> >

> >has been updated recently. Still working on getting the formal
> >proposal together, and still welcoming comments and/or suggestions.
> Ah. I forgot. Richard, I'd come across these characters independently some
> time ago, when at the Beijing meeting of WG2 I'd collected a number of
> books on Yi, in which these characters occur. I think your arguments about
> the productivity of the curl in the IPA are spot on.

Yes, transcription of Yi (Lolo) and other Lolo-ish and Lolo-Burmese
languages is one of the things I'm talking about in the above paper. And
phonetic transcriptions of Tibetan etc. ...
> In short, I think these characters should be added and that there should be
> no impediment to doing so. In fact, in September I was updating one of the
> fonts Asmus and I use to prepare tables and I added these characters for
> future use.

Did you add curly-tail-l and curly-tail-r too? As I mention in the
paper, the productivity of symbols for this place of articulation admits
the possibility of curly-tail-r as well ... though I've never seen it
except in my transcription font. I added it to my font just for the
production of that paper ... but haven't added the symbol to the paper
yet. Wondering if I should also add it to the paper title ...

But I think that some phonologists or phoneticians may in fact one day
take it into their heads to use curly-tail-l and curly-tail-r more
widely ... so, the chars for this place series ought to be available to everyone.

Richard S. COOK, Jr.
STEDT Project, Linguistics Department
University of California, Berkeley