Re: Greek Diacritics Again

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 14:23:34 EST

Antoine answere Lukas Pietsch:

> Now, about U+030D (combining vertical line above), which happens to have a
> note appended saying tonos, I believe this is slightly misleading, but
> any reader that has doubt here will be directed in the correct way by looking
> at the note appended to U+0301:
> = Greek oxia, tonos
> (I am referring myself to NamesList-3.0.0.txt, available from www.unicode.org)
> The book says very probably the same, but I did not check.
> The same holds for U+0344.

There is a note "Tonos" appended to the character name for U+030D in
ISO/IEC 10646-1:2000, but *not* in the Unicode Standard. This is a case
of where the 10646 annotations have not caught up with the current
understanding of Greek tonos and font design.

It is *much* easier to update and extend the annotations we print in
the Unicode Standard than it is to correct the few name annotations
that occur in ISO/IEC 10646-1:2000. Any such corrections in ISO/IEC 10646-1:2000
require someone to submit a formal defect report to WG2 that will be handled,
in this case, by the editor as an editorial corrigendum to be rolled into
some official publication of a corrigendum, after committee approval.

The Unicode Technical Committee has a much lighter process, delegating
such annotation to the editorial committee, which can roll in corrections
to the master names list almost as soon as they are noticed and reported.

--Ken