Re: OT (Kind of): Determining whether Locales are left-to-right or right-to-left.

From: David Tooke (dtooke@interproinc.com)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 13:23:26 EST

Thanks for your prompt replies.

I noticed from that list that there are quite a few languages that do not
have 2 character ISO 639 codes.

Balti Baluchi Berber Hausa Karaite Kurmanji Luri Mazanderani
Moplah
 Pulaar Siraiki (also known as Saraiki or Lahnda or Western Panjabi)
Sulu

Is it true that one would not be able set their browser locales to these
languages as it appears ISO 639 is a pre-requisite for this?

plus...
dumb question 1. Is Aramaic (which doesn't seem to have a 2 character ISO
code) the same as Amharic (which does...AM)? If not, Amharic appears to be
a Semetic language too, is that written right-to-left too?

dumb question 2. Are there an known cases where the full locale name
(language+country+variant) has a different directionality as for the root
language? I know that some languages are written in different scripts
based on the locale; are there any cases where there are a two scripts that
have the same language code in their locale but differ in their writing
direction?