Re: OT (Kind of): Determining whether Locales are left-to-right or

From: Tex Texin (
Date: Thu Dec 07 2000 - 14:35:42 EST

I wasn't thinking about a,b,c so much as the headings in the results
table and the ordering of the data in the fields: country, state, name

Where I have seen Hebrew or Arabic tables the heading order
changes from LTR to RTL, and so you would want the data
returned from the query to be in the same order. Hence the
need for the columns of the query to be switched around.

John Cowan wrote:
> Tex Texin wrote:
> > For example, the case that you are suggesting goes off the rails,
> > is exactly what the user would want if he were going to
> > query the list of just Arabic and Israeli records and then copy and
> > paste them into perhaps a spreadsheet.
> Is it? I've never seen a RTL localized spreadsheet program;
> perhaps the A1 column appears rightmost, in which case pasting the
> logical-order would make the text end up with country in A (rightmost),
> firstname in B, lastname in C. Which is what you want.
> --
> There is / one art || John Cowan <>
> no more / no less ||
> to do / all things ||
> with art- / lessness \\ -- Piet Hein

According to Murphy, nothing goes according to Hoyle.
Tex Texin                      Director, International Business      +1-781-280-4271 Fax:+1-781-280-4655
Progress Software Corp.        14 Oak Park, Bedford, MA 01730 #1 Embedded Database