Re: OT (Kind of): Determining whether Locales are left-to-right or

From: Tex Texin (texin@progress.com)
Date: Fri Dec 08 2000 - 14:14:36 EST

Addison,

I think locale is a weak concept to begin with, but
I can accept that it is good enough for initializing a set of
properties to approximately what a user might want.

Once those settings are made, unless the user wants to make
a gross change in all of the settings, I let him change
the individual properties.

A familiar example, is Windows regional control. You can choose
a region which sets many properties. The user can then
go and override a specific number, date, time, etc. format.
Changing the date format shouldn't require the user to pick
another locale or implicitly change locale.

If overriding some property was an operation that was frequently
performed, then
I could see creating a new personalized locale for the user.
i.e. ar_EG_tex for Egypt with a modified date format...

I don't think most users are familiar with all of the locales
and what property settings they use. Therefore I think it
is only a very gross setting, which the user might tweak
to meet their needs more exactly.

I think we are in agreement everywhere else.
(Hey, it's kind of like we are using the same locale with
me overriding one property! ;-) )
tex

--
According to Murphy, nothing goes according to Hoyle.
Tex Texin                      Director, International Business

http://www.Progress.com #1 Embedded Database

Globalization Program http://www.Progress.com/partners/globalization.htm ---------------------------------------------------------------------------