Re: [langue-fr] L'anglais est-il une langue universelle ?

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Wed Dec 20 2000 - 15:45:24 EST

Alain LaBonté scripsit:

> Just as
> an indication, Québec, a 7.5-million-people island of French speakers
> which is surrounded by an ocean of monolithically English-speaking
> community of 300 million users of this language public-wise (I mean
> outside of homes), does not speak English (at least not enough to
> understand a simple question on the phone and answer it) in a proportion
> of approximately two thirds.

I suggest that there are ideological reasons for this which do
not apply to the rest of the world, which does not feel their
native languages under such a threat as you describe, and feel
freer to learn other languages as a matter of individual
utility.

--
There is / one art             || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
no more / no less              || http://www.reutershealth.com