RE: boustrophedon more current, not ancient?

From: Peck, Jon (peck@spss.com)
Date: Wed Dec 20 2000 - 17:20:18 EST

I insert below an interesting post from Michael Everson to this list some
time ago. At the end of an i18n class for our developers, I exempt them
from supporting example 10.

-Kim Peck
---------------------
Inspired by a comment in the Unicode FAQ.

1. Boustrophedon top-to-bottom: early Greek

>>>aaaaaaaaaa
bbbbbbbbbb<<<
>>>cccccccccc

2. RTL top-to-bottom: Hebrew, Arabic, Egyptian

aaaaaaaaaa<<<
bbbbbbbbbb<<<
cccccccccc<<<

3. RTL bottom-to-top: Orkhon (Yenisei, Kök Turki)

cccccccccc<<<
bbbbbbbbbb<<<
aaaaaaaaaa<<<

4. LTR top-to-bottom: Latin, Cyrillic

>>>aaaaaaaaaa
>>>bbbbbbbbbb
>>>cccccccccc

4. Downward columns (RTL): Japanese, Chinese, Egyptian

v v v
v v v
v v v
m g a
n h b
o i c
p j d
q k e
r l f

5. Downward columns (LTR): Mongolian, Egyptian

v v v
v v v
v v v
a g m
b h n
c i o
d j p
e k q
f l r

6. Downward in columns of two: Mayan

vv vv
vv vv
vv vv
ab kl
cd mn
ef op
gh qr
ij st

7. Upward columns (LTR): Batak

f l r
e k q
d j p
c i o
b h n
a g m
^ ^ ^
^ ^ ^
^ ^ ^

8. Upward boustrophedon (LTR): Ogham

f g h
e i
d j
c k
b l
a m
^ v
^ v
^ v

9. Rotated boustrophedon: Rongorongo

>>>cccccccccc
qqqqqqqqqq<<<
>>>aaaaaaaaaa

10. Spiral: Phaistos

   k l m
 j c
i b d
 h a e
   g f
==========

--
Michael Everson, Everson Gunn Teoranta ** http://www.indigo.ie/egt
Guthán: +353 1 478-2597 ** Facsa: +353 1 478-2597 (by arrangement)

-----Original Message----- From: Peter_Constable@sil.org [mailto:Peter_Constable@sil.org] Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2000 3:03 PM To: Unicode List Subject: Re: boustrophedon more current, not ancient?

On 12/20/2000 02:26:24 PM Elaine Keown wrote:

>Literally 'boustrophedon' refers to how an ox plows a field.

And I think that has always been understood in the context of writing to mean with successive lines running in alternate directions (regardless of the direction in which lines follow one another in a paragraph). For vertical text, the would mean TTB, BTT, TTB, etc. I have never heard of boustrophedon used for vertical text.

- Peter

Non-Roman Script Initiative, SIL International 7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA Tel: +1 972 708 7485 E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>