Re: Bug in Bidi

From: Mark Davis (mark.davis@us.ibm.com)
Date: Tue Dec 26 2000 - 14:45:48 EST

What you have found is a valid bug, but not quite what you describe. Here
are the two principles at issue.

P2. In each paragraph, find the first character that is a strong
directional type (L, AL, R).

P3. If a character is found in P2 and it is of type AL or R, then set the
paragraph embedding level to one; otherwise, set it to zero.

Someone could interpret P2 as applying to all strong types, instead of just
(L, AL, R). The best way to fix it is to make Table 3-7. Bidirectional
Character Types have RLE, RLO, LRE, LRO, PDF in a separate category, not in
Strong (or Weak). This would not disturb the rest of the algorithm, since
these characters are removed before further reference to "strong" or
"weak".

The reason that these characters are not to affect the paragraph embedding
level is that typically, if anything, the paragraph level should be the
*opposite* of the embedding; the embedding marks that the embedded text is
to be given a *different* direction than the surrounding text.

Mark
___
Mark Davis, IBM GCoC, Cupertino
(408) 777-5850 [fax: 5891], mark.davis@us.ibm.com, president@unicode.org