Re: Non-Latin Vietnamese in Unicode

From: John H. Jenkins (
Date: Thu Dec 28 2000 - 11:36:08 EST

At 8:36 PM -0800 12/27/00, wrote:
>In checking for the locations of classical Vietnamese Chu Han characters in
>Unicode, I found some 3300 or so listed in Unihan.txt with TCVN 6056
>source. But looking up several of these characters in the Unihan charts
>there appears to be no reference to any Vietnamese source or a Vietnamese
>"reading." Is it just a question of an eventual future updating of the
>charts, or are there other reasons for the missing references? Or am I
>looking in the wrong place?

You've lost me here. You mean the on-line Unihan database? If
Unihan.txt lists a Vietnamese source, then so should the on-line
database, since they're built on the same data. As for missing
readings, it's simply a matter of not having the data supplied to
Unicode by anybody and not having the resources internally to
generate it.

John H. Jenkins