Re: [langue-fr] L'anglais est-il une langue universelle ?

From: Alain LaBonté  (alb@iquebec.com)
Date: Sat Dec 30 2000 - 12:35:25 EST

À 05:36 2000-12-30 -0800, Elliotte Rusty Harold a écrit:
>And yet the claim has been made in this thread that even there 70% of the
>population can't speak English well enough to carry on a simple phone
>call. (I'm not sure I believe that statistic either, though.

[Alain] I wrote that and it is the bare reality, unfortunately, the
figures are roughly those (plus or minus 5 percent).

[ERH]
> It's certainly not my experience of Quebec where so far I've met exactly
> one person whose English was worse than my French, and he was a recent
> immigrant from Africa.)

[Alain] Then I can only say that you have never been East of the
St-Laurent boulevard in Montréal or have traveled in a bubble outside of
Montréal if you did so. You have an extremely superficial knowledge of
Québec, I'm sorry to say.

    40% of the Montréal area speaks English fluently. True. That fluency
drops to virtually 0 outside the area, except in some pockets West of
Montréal (some unilingual English) and in the Gaspé area (near New Brunswick).

    That said, everybody learns elementary English from grade 4 to grade 6
included in Québec, and perhaps most also beyond, until grade 12. But that
does not make all these people even able to sustain a telephone
conversation. That is a truth that can not be more actual.

Alain LaBonté
Québec

Vous avez un site perso ?
2 millions de francs à gagner sur i(france) !
Webmasters : ZE CONCOURS ! http://www.ifrance.com/_reloc/concours.emailif