Re: relation between unicode and font

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Fri Jan 05 2001 - 15:24:24 EST

With that said, this type of "bug" is actually by design for many languages
that have speakers who are not using Unicode. When you look (for example) at
Indic languages on the web, the vast majority of them are handled by this
type font hack.

So I am hesitant to call it a BUG. Its just the encoding that people will
use.

It would be nice to move them to Unicode, sure. But with (again, for
example) most of the folks at tamil.net using Windows and then with less
than 5% of them using Windows 2000, they certainly cannot see Unicode as
their best option at this point.

Looking forward they know its where they want to be, but for now they are
fairly embedded in TSCII (or TAB) at best, random font hacks at worst.

MichKa

Michael Kaplan
Trigeminal Software, Inc.
http://www.trigeminal.com/