Re: GBK, HZ and EUC-TW

From: Lars Marius Garshol (larsga@garshol.priv.no)
Date: Mon Jan 08 2001 - 10:57:09 EST

* Tom Emerson

| I think Ken does a credible job with a difficult and inherently
| confusing subject. I do agree with you that it requires a fair
| amount of flipping around to get all the details, but it is the only
| source in English for a lot of this data.

I agree that if you need this information there is nowhere else to go,
at least as far as I know. I don't think the writing is very good,
however. The presentation would have been far better if it were more
systematic and detailed. This goes not just for the character
encodings, but essentially for the whole book.

| FWIW, I'm giving a tutorial at IUC18 in Hong Kong on Chinese
| encodings: perhaps that will be more understandable for people.

Let us hope so. :-) For me it is no longer necessary, since I have
implemented converters for all the encodings we need except EUC-TW.

* Lars Marius Garshol

| Hmmm. Does this mean that it is best to support the Microsoft
| extensions, or that it is best not to do so? I guess we will be
| forced to support them sooner or later, and that we might as well do
| it now to save everyone some bother.

* Tom Emerson

| That's up to you. Since most GBK encoded text you find will be
| authored on a Simplified Chinese version of Windows, and hence in
| CP936, you may just as well support it.

This is what I have been thinking as well; I've just been reluctant to
do it. Thank you for helping me decide.

--Lars M.