Re: Transcriptions of "Unicode"

From: Jon Babcock (jon@kanji.com)
Date: Thu Jan 11 2001 - 19:28:06 EST

John Jenkins wrote:

   On Thursday, January 11, 2001, at 10:25 AM, Richard Cook wrote:

> Which one do people like?
>
> http://my.ispchannel.com/~markdavis//unicode/Unicode_transcription_images/
> U_Chinese2.gif

   Is much better. "Unified Code"

> http://my.ispchannel.com/~markdavis//unicode/Unicode_transcription_images/
> U_Chinese3.gif

   Stinks. "Standard International Code"

At first glance, I agreed. But then if the U_Chinese3.gif, gets
shortened to the last three characters, wanguo ma, as I suspect it
would in practice, I'd favor it slightly over the three-character
tongyi ma of U_Chinese2.gif. FWIW. To me, wanguo ma emphasizes the
multilingual aspect, whereas tongyi ma emphasizes the unifying aspect,
but it isn't fully apparent, from the name (tongyi ma) alone, what is
being unified.

Jon

--
Jon Babcock <jon@kanji.com>