Re: Transcriptions of "Unicode"

From: G. Adam Stanislav (adam@whizkidtech.net)
Date: Mon Jan 15 2001 - 20:28:28 EST

At 13:26 15-01-2001 -0800, Alain LaBonté  wrote:
>Latin is still spoken in Rome, at the Vatican.
>
>So there is a Roman pronunciation even today... (;

Actually, everyone in the Vatican uses whatever pronunciation he
learned back in his home country. I am a graduate of Canon Law
Department at Gregorian University (the last pontifical school
in Rome that still has all lectures in Latin). One of the challenges
I had to face was to understand all the different flavors of Latin
my professors used: Some were Italian, some German, some Spanish,
one Belgian, etc. They all pronounced Latin differently.

Not to mention one of my professors, an Italian, used the word
"ipse" all the time. It took me two months to realize he was unable
to speak without the use of a definite article. He used "ipse"
in Latin where he would use "il" in Italian. He also used to say
"secundum Ops" and I kept wondering who Ops was. Then I finally
realized he was talking about Hobbes.

Adam
---
Whiz Kid Technomagic - brand name computers for less.
See http://www.whizkidtech.net/pcwarehouse/ for details.