Re: conjucts beginning with independent vowel?

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Wed Jan 17 2001 - 16:17:04 EST

At 11:28 AM 1/17/2001 -0800, Peter_Constable@sil.org wrote:

>I'm trying to sort out what should be proposed for Syloti Nagri. There are
>four consonants that can be conjoined to a preceding independent vowel.
>From what I understand, these are mainly used for Arabic borrowings in
>Islamic texts, but possibly also in English borrowings. So, for example,
>Allah is written as al-la-h.

Are thes four consonants always joined in this way when following an
independent vowel? Or is this behaviour exceptional and limited to borrowed
words, etc.? I'm wondering if you need anything between the vowel and
consonant at all, or if you could treat this simply as an obligatory ligature?

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks |
Vancouver, BC | All empty souls tend to extreme opinion.
www.tiro.com | W.B. Yeats
tiro@tiro.com |