RE: conjucts beginning with independent vowel?

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Thu Jan 18 2001 - 11:38:34 EST

Peter Constable wrote:
> A couple of people asked to see some samples. I've posted a PDF at
> ftp://ftp.sil.org/unicode/sylhoti/Syloti_VC_conjuncts.pdf.

Now I see! Sorry for arriving after everybody else...

I wonder then, how about renaming "Syloti Nagri Ng" as "Syloti Nagri
anusvara"? And possibly encode it in position U+XX02, for analogy with other
blocks?

Anusvara is in fact the sign to indicate a nasal sound after a vowel, and it
is also applicable to independent vowels. BTW, AFAIK, Bengali anusvara has
precisely the same "NG" sound, so it might act as a precedent (hmmm... sorry
if this had already been said).

One could also dare to propose that "Syloti Nagri consonant sign So" be
renamed "Syloti Nagri visarga" (U+XX03), on the basis that "S" is
etymological sound of visarga in Sanskrit.

At this point, it would be all too natural to also encode "Syloti Nagri
consonant signs Ro, To, and Lo" as separate code points.

BUT...

What impedes you to represents these VC clusters as V+C+virama (notice: with
virama *after* the consonant, not before)?

This would be the logical representation, and would deliver the correct
phonetic information (for the benefit of people or application interested in
sounds; e.g. linguists or screen readers).

Of course, a sequence like V+C+virama would be quite a new case for
smart-font technologies (but wouldn't break Graphite, would it?).

My question is: would such an encoding sequence be unambiguous in this
script, or can it be confused with other kinds of clusters and/or with
visible viramas?

_ Marco