Re: conjucts beginning with independent vowel?

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Thu Jan 18 2001 - 13:01:25 EST

I would encourage people (for new proposals) to not mistake the phrase
"corresponds to ________" to be equivalent to "should be named _________".

The former is a convenient way for someone who is uses a native script and
has extensively studied Unicode to explain a situation to someone who uses
Unicode. The latter is someone in Unicode who is trying to make it so easy
to encode a new script that they are (perhaps unintentionally) willing to
potentially turn off the native speakers from Unicode.

May I beseech the gods and goddesses of Unicode to never decide that they
are so much "the volume platform" that they can tell others how best to
describe their languages/scripts in terms of other languages/scripts, even
when we know better! :-)

MichKa

Michael Kaplan
Trigeminal Software, Inc.