off-topic overview of standards

From: Tex Texin (texin@progress.com)
Date: Thu Jan 25 2001 - 18:14:18 EST

Is anyone aware of good articles, documents, or books, that provide
a good overview of standards for the software or IT industry and
perhaps describes the (some?) relationship between all of the standards.

It would be good if there was some discussion in the material of the
benefits that standards bring to the industry and/or the benefits to
those
that participate in the creation of standards.

The reason I ask, is I am looking to explain to others, the value
of standards and standards participation, as well to provide an
overview of the technologies "standards" address, as well as the
relation between them.

I am hoping not to have to start from scratch...

You can reply direct to me. If there is interest I'll post a summary
of the suggestions I get.

tia
tex

According to Murphy, nothing goes according to Hoyle.
Tex Texin Director, International Business
mailto:Texin@Progress.com +1-781-280-4271 Fax:+1-781-280-4655
Progress Software Corp. 14 Oak Park, Bedford, MA 01730

http://www.Progress.com #1 Embedded Database

Globalization Program
http://www.Progress.com/partners/globalization.htm