Benefits of Unicode w/2columns

From: Tex Texin (texin@progress.com)
Date: Fri Jan 26 2001 - 20:16:52 EST

OK, sorry to do this twice, but I like the 2 column version much
better and I had to add the reference to Java before my mailbox
overflowed with comments to add it.

thanks
tex

> Tex Texin wrote:
>
> I was asked to produce a list of the benefits of Unicode to be used
> as a sidebar with an article referencing Unicode.
>
> Ideally, it would be a brief set of bullets for an audience that
> doesn't know a lot about internationalization. The bullets shouldnt
> be too detailed or technical.
>
> I came up with the attached table. I think with some minor amendments
> I can drop the left column now and just use the benefits with
> examples.
>
> I have until Monday morning to turn it in, so I thought I'd ask
> for some review.
>
> Anything missing? Any constructive suggestions, gratefully
> appreciated.
>
> tex

Unicode Benefits

Benefits of Unicode
Benefits
Example
Allows for multilingual documents using any or all the languages you desire Invoice or ticketing applications can print native language names
One set of algorithms for processing text reduces development and support costs, improves time-to-market, and allows for single version of source code Applications can be marketed globally the day of initial release
ISO Standards insure interoperability Any applications reading the same text file will interpret it correctly
Worldwide deployment capability Text can be sent from any part of the world to any other part
Support by most, if not all, modern technologies allows easy integration Applications can exchange text without conversion loss or errors
Internet-readiness Internet standards, such as XML and Java are Unicode-based
Continuous evolution extends application lifetime and expands capabilities to meet future needs Unicode Version 3.0 added 25,000+ characters and new technical specifications that improved, for example, Middle Eastern language support.