Benefits of Unicode

From: Tex Texin (texin@progress.com)
Date: Fri Jan 26 2001 - 19:45:40 EST

I was asked to produce a list of the benefits of Unicode to be used
as a sidebar with an article referencing Unicode.

Ideally, it would be a brief set of bullets for an audience that
doesn't know a lot about internationalization. The bullets shouldnt
be too detailed or technical.

I came up with the attached table. I think with some minor amendments
I can drop the left column now and just use the benefits with examples.

I have until Monday morning to turn it in, so I thought I'd ask
for some review.

Anything missing? Any constructive suggestions, gratefully appreciated.

tex

Unicode Benefits

Benefits of Unicode
Unicode Properties
Benefits
Example
All the characters of all the languages you might ever need Multi-lingual documents: use any or all the languages you want Invoice or ticketing applications can print native language names
Defines one set of algorithms for processing text Reduced development and support costs and reduced time-to-market, with one version of source code that works world-wide Sales to multiple countries the day of initial release
An ISO standard Standards insure interoperability Any applications reading the same text file will interpret it correctly
Accepted globally Worldwide deployment capability Text sent from any part of the world to any other part
Supported by most, if not all modern technologies Ease of integration Applications can exchange text without conversion loss or errors
Web standards are based on it Internet-readiness XML, the format for structured documents and data on the Web is
Unicode-based
Undergoes continuous development Evolution extends application lifetime and expands capabilities to meet future needs Unicode Version 3.0 added 25,000+ characters and new technical
specifications that improved, for
example, Middle Eastern language support.